Powered By Blogger

Friday 1 January 2010

TOP TEN BLU-RAYS OF 2009: THE ONES THAT GOT AWAY

There's a ton of stuff that I've yet to see, for various reasons. Unfortunately, the likes of THE HURT LOCKER eluded me via cinema screenings and are still on my 'soon come' rental list. Then we have David Fincher's FIGHT CLUB which would possibly have made it into the top ten if either one of two copies would have actually played in my 'no firmware update' Bush Blu-ray player.
Sam Raimi's breathlessly entertaining DRAG ME TO HELL just missed out, as did STAR TREK XI and HANNIBAL (great film, could do better transfer).
GLADIATOR? copious extras but the transfer... this one has inspired wars on various forums. Guess it's in the eye of the beholder, and possibly bearable if you have a smaller size screen. My own take is that those responsible did a poor job, and I'm still surprised there wasn't a recall.

So, here's a rundown on my top ten Blu's of the year:

10/ THE DAMNED UNITED

9/ THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE

8/ NORTH BY NORTHWEST

7/ DAWN OF THE DEAD

6/ THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE

5/ WATCHMEN

4/ FRANKLYN

3/ MOON

2/ LET THE RIGHT ONE IN

And number one on my list is...

2 comments:

  1. THE HURT LOCKER was another of the best films I took at the theaters in the '09 year. But, since I'm susceptible to motion sickness, it's shaky cam technique was the only thing I didn't enjoy with it. I had to close my eyes, unfortunately, for a portion of it to avoid turning too green and losing it. The Kingdom did it to me in '08, too. The effect is less pronounced in home theater, thankfully. Can't wait to see what number one is on your list, Steve. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much. Couldn't get to see this at the cinema, but hope to rent THL very soon.

    ReplyDelete